Lynch House is a beautiful Grade II* listed classic Georgian house, situated within attractive
and mature gardens and grounds. The house dates to the early 18th century was awarded
its listed status in February 1967 as an important building of special interest. The house was
originally part of Benjamin Bennett’s Kensworth Estate and there have been some notable
tenants over the years. Sir Walter Beaupre Townley, who was British Ambassador in
Romania, Iran and the Netherlands lived there from 1928-1931 and Brendan Brakan, the
larger than life Irishman who was a Privy Councillor during World War Two serving as
Churchills Minister of Information lived at Lynch House from 1931-1936. The Kensworth
Estate was split and auctioned in 1943. Lynch House has remained in the same family since
then and this is the first time it has been on the market for nearly 80 years. The house
boasts a wealth of period features including original fireplaces, sash windows and decorative
panelling with accommodation flowing well across three floors.
The house is entered into a reception hall from where the main reception rooms flow. The
drawing room has a double aspect with sash windows that have seats beneath and French
doors opening to the rose garden. The dining room leads into the garden room which has a
WC off. Both the drawing and dining room have ornate Oregon pine panelling. There is also
a study and sitting room.
The traditional style kitchen/ breakfast room has tiled flooring, an electric Aga and a large
utility room off which provides access to the courtyard. There is also a walk in butlers
pantry from where the cellars can be accessed.
The principal staircase rises to the first floor where there are six bedrooms, one that is en
suite and three bathrooms. Four of the rooms enjoy a fine outlook across the front southern
lawn and mature trees beyond. The remaining two bedrooms and bathroom are to the back
of the house overlooking the rose garden where there is a secondary staircase descending to
There are three versatile attic rooms on the second floor, currently used as two games
rooms and a library which could be utilised as a playroom or further accommodation.
Lynch House Cottage is situated in the courtyard behind the main house. The cottage
comprises a kitchen/ breakfast room, sitting room, utility room, two double bedrooms with
built in storage and a bathroom.
Lynch House is approached through electric gates down a private driveway flanked by
mature trees that sweeps to reveal the beautiful façade and continues to a courtyard behind
the main house.
The front garden is south facing and is mainly laid to lawn with herbaceous borders, well
stocked flower beds, a water Lily pond and fine mature trees. There is a beautiful, partly
walled rose garden to the west that leads to the walled kitchen garden with an orchard,
various raised beds with three greenhouses and a workshop. There are paved paths through
that lead to a wildflower area and a pétanque pitch.
The outbuildings in the courtyard include a double garage
with sliding doors, a small room to keep garden furniture and a large barn for garden
equipment with exposed timbers and a mezzanine floor. The barn has the potential to be
converted into a games or entertaining area, subject to the correct planning permissions